PunkconformityLife, history, and the pursuit of knitting.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

On the needles V

+ 1 comment
What I'm doing: It is peak advising season at work, so mostly what I'm doing is meeting with 8-12 students a day to help them plan their schedules for next semester and talk through how to make their long-term goals a reality.  It's incredibly fulfilling, but also incredibly tiring, which is why blogging has taken a bit of a back-seat.

What I'm reading: I just finished Cotillion, which is one of my favorite Georgette Heyer books ever, and which I hadn't read since high school.  I've started one called The Women of Britain, which was published in 1941 by a Polish diplomat's wife who was living in exile in London during the height of the Blitz.  She describes the differences between the WAAF, the Wrens, the MTC, ATS, and other branches of female employment for the war effort, and includes personal accounts from women in each branch.  So far it's very, very interesting.

What I'm watching:  Not much.  We've both been so exhausted when we've gotten home at night that focusing on a television show has been a bit beyond us.  I did watch the Boris Karloff Mr. Wong movies the other day, from the late '30s, and they were quite good.  I was expecting all the Asian characters to be played by European-Americans in eye makeup, as the last thing they were worried about in the '30s was ethnic stereotyping.  But surprisingly, Karloff was the only instance of that sort of ridiculousness.  All the other Asian characters were played by Asian-American actors.

What I'm knitting: Hugo, by Veronik Avery, from Brooklyn Tweed.  I'm working this up for the Boy in Berroco Vintage, because it never gets cold enough here for him to be comfortable in a 100% wool sweater.



1 comment

Rea
November 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Remember I want to read 'Women of Britain' when you are done with it. Also, to continue the 'Wah' into a different part of the world, you really should watch 'Flags of Our Fathers.'