PunkconformityLife, history, and the pursuit of knitting.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Podcast love

+ Add a comment
When we moved, back in March, my commute went from 12 minutes to 45.  That definitely took some getting used to, but one of the things that has made the drive easier has been podcasts.  Getting to spend the drive listening to other people geek out about yarn and nerd stuff and Shakespeare as much as I do has made the drive go by so much faster.  While I think most of these are fairly well-known, I thought I would share my favorites all the same.

1) The Knit-Knit Cafe.  Abby is so personable and funny, and she has the greatest laugh.  It's really like getting to hang out with a close friend.  Just be prepared for the fact that the audio levels vary wildly between her titles and when she's actually talking.

2) The Knotty Girls.  Jen and Laura might be my favorites, just because their sense of humor and range of interests align pretty much exactly with my own.

3) The Knitmore Girls.  Jasmin and Gigi remind me a lot of my mom and I, except they manage to finish a lot more projects than we do.  They're very educational, and I've learned a lot of new techniques and fun terms from listening to them.

4) Craft-lit.  I don't listen to this one as often because I have a hard time staying focused on my driving during the "lit" part of the podcast.  I get too involved in the story.  But it's a great podcast, and if you don't have that problem, you should listen to it.

5) The Knit Picks podcast.  I really love listening to Kelly think through her knitting goals, and she often has the best interviews.

6) Never Not Knitting.  Alana is super sweet, and I love the stories from listeners at the end.  Plus her theme-song is really funny.

Non-knitting podcasts:

1) The Giant Bombcast.  Video-games, geek culture, and humor.  Generally full of swearing and mocking one another and the rest of the world.

2) Chop Bard.  The tag-line is "The cure for boring Shakespeare." I never thought Shakespeare was boring in the first place, but Ehren does to Shakespeare what I do to medieval history, which is to take off the white gloves, pull it down to our level, and treat it like it was meant to be treated, instead of like this reified, sacred thing.  It's AWESOME.